This conservation volunteering experience in Africa covers the key topics of basic ecology and biodiversity. Immerse yourself in the unique surroundings of the Garden Route and study a variety of forest and fynbos species, as well as experiencing African elephants in close proximity at a local sanctuary!
- Help protect the unique forest and fynbos habitats of the famous Garden Route
- Learn about conservation and ecological principles and how to apply them
- Educate local children about the wonders of the natural world
- Learn all about Africa’s most majestic mammal at a local elephant sanctuary
- Take a trip out to sea, viewing whales and dolphins in their natural habitat
|Sunday||Free Day||Free Day|
|Monday||Environmental Restoration||Conservation Education Workshop|
|Tuesday||Elephant Sanctuary Experience||Elephant Sanctuary Experience|
|Wednesday||Forest Species Survey||Recycling project with kids|
|Thursday||Coastal Conservation project||Environmental Restoration|
|Friday||Coastal bird monitoring||Cultural Activity|
Once you are part of the team you never leave it. I can’t thank you enough! I leave with inspiration, determination, happy memories, new friends, filled with enthusiasm and SMILING!
I’ve always wanted to come to Africa and I knew it would be great, but everything that I’ve experienced has gone far beyond my expectations. From the elephants to the kids, everything was so amazing. I will be coming back and I can’t wait.
- All project operating costs, equipment, tools and resources
- Return Bus Ticket from Cape Town or Johannesburg to Knysna
- Pick up & drop off from arrival points (George airport or Knysna bus stop)
- 24/7 emergency support
- Orientation & Training
- Accommodation in our Volunteer House
- 3 Meals a day
- Project Related Transport
- Project T-shirts
- Dedicated coordinators to assist you daily
- Project support and feedback sessions throughout your stay
- Assistance with optional activities and tours
- Assistance obtaining a local SIM Card for your phone
- Additional cultural and outdoor activities on Friday afternoons (and some evenings)
- Free, unlimited Wi-Fi and computer access in the Knysna volunteer house
- Post-project involvement, and an exclusive return volunteer discount
Challenge Level: Comfortable
You will have access to all amenities including running water, electricity. Most bankcards work at local banks (VISA, MasterCard, AMEX) and you will have access to the Internet. You will also find that you can purchase almost anything at local shops.
Recommended for those who enjoy having access to restaurants and shops as well as daily communication with friends and family at home.
These are some of the projects you will be involved in when you join this program.
You'll be in Knysna, South Africa
Knysna is one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa. Stunning views, impressive mountain passes, lush green forests and white sandy beaches.
Knysna really is paradise and it’s no surprise that it has been voted South Africa’s favorite holiday town on many occasions!
*Please contact us for pricing for stays of more than 8 weeks and group bookings.