1. Pre Departure
- 1.1 The applicant:
- 1.1.1 Declares that they are 18 yrs old on the start date of the project, or have written permission from the EDGE of AFRICA project manager that they have been accepted on the program.
- 1.1.2 Certifies that the information given in the Personal Details and Pre-departure Form is correct and acknowledges that any false information may compromise their participation on the project.
- 1.1.3 Declares that they are in good health and require no specialized or on-going medical attention.
- 1.1.4 Declares that they have never been convicted of a criminal offence.
- 1.1.5 Declares that they speak fluent conversational English.
- 1.1.6 Certifies that they have clearly read and understood all provided information related to health & safety, legal, environmental, political, cultural and religious customs and conditions of the hosting country provided by EDGE of AFRICA and its partners.
- 1.2 EDGE of AFRICA and its partners reserve the right to refuse any applicant who does not meet the project eligibility requirements.
- 1.3 EDGE of AFRICA and its partners reserve the right to request a Criminal Record check and/or Police Clearance from any participant for all projects if deemed necessary.
- 1.4 EDGE of AFRICA strongly advises that no travel arrangements be made before placement on a project is confirmed. Doing so prior to confirmation may restrict EDGE of AFRICA’s service to the participant.
- 1.5 The participant must inform EDGE of AFRICA of any change to project arrival/departure dates in writing. EDGE of AFRICA will endeavour to accommodate the change and will confirm the change to the applicant in writing. Changes may be subject to administration fees.
- 1.6 EDGE of AFRICA shall not be responsible for or deemed to be in default by reason of delays in or failure of performance of this agreement due to causes beyond its reasonable control and not being limited to civil or war between nations, rebellions, natural or unnatural phenomenon including acts of God or the public enemy, failure of transportation, epidemics, quarantine restrictions or labour trouble, fires, explosions, earthquakes, serious accidents, acts of government including but not restricted to: allocations and regulations and orders affecting materials or facilities, thus causing cessation, delays or interruption of work and failure of suppliers and sub-contractors to furnish labour or materials within their contractual delivery times.
- 1.7 By submission of a booking form and/or payment of project deposit, the applicant agrees to these terms and conditions and the applicants agree to EDGE of AFRICA using any photographs/images or quotes (verbal or written) that are provided by the participant or documented by EDGE of AFRICA. Such images/quotes may be used in EDGE of AFRICA’s promotional material, such as website, leaflets, posters, brochures. Such images and quotes may be accompanied by the participant’s name, age, area of residence.
2. Visa’s, Documentation ETC
- 2.1 It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she has a valid passport and obtains appropriate documentation for entry to the hosting country.
- 2.2 Information relating to visa requirements offered by EDGE of AFRICA and / or its partners is not guaranteed to be completely accurate. It is the participant’s responsibility to contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate.
- 2.3 EDGE of AFRICA and its partners do not accept any liability for financial loss incurred by failure to have the correct travel documentation.
- 2.4 The applicant agrees to submit all the requested documentation in a timely manner. EDGE of AFRICA cannot be held responsiblefor any delay or additional cost caused by the participant’s failure to do so.
- 3.1 It is the participant’s responsibility to obtain appropriate insurance to cover any eventuality that may occur throughout their project (including repatriation, loss of property or personal injury or illness). Refunds are not given as a result of illness or accident (unless proof is available of the accident being caused by negligence of an EDGE of AFRICA staff member) whilst participating on any project.
- 4.1 The applicant agrees to pay all fees in accordance with EDGE of AFRICA and its partners’ requirements and to submit all the requested documentation in a timely manner. EDGE of AFRICA cannot be held responsible for any delay or additional cost caused by the participant’s failure to do so.
- 4.2 In case the applicant is due to pay any visa fees to enter the country where the project is held, this payment will not be part of the project fee.
- 4.3 Project bookings with departure dates for the following calendar year are subject to a possible fee increase after amended prices. Please check with EDGE of AFRICA if you wish to amend your dates as further charges may be incurred. All changes to a booking must be submitted in writing to EDGE of AFRICA. Bear in mind that this may be subject to additional program fees and amendments.
- 4.4 Prices are subject to change without notice.
- 4.5 The participant agrees to pay their project deposit in order to secure booking.
- 4.6 The participant agrees to settle the full balance of the project 4 weeks before arrival date.
- 5.1 No placement is guaranteed on a project until a deposit has been received by EDGE of AFRICA.
- 5.2 In the event that EDGE of AFRICA or its partners are forced to withdraw or cancel a project, an alternative project will be offered to the participant. In the event that the replacement project is unsuitable, EDGE of AFRICA will refund 100% of the fees paid by the participant, minus any costs incurred. The replacement project may not be the same price as the original project.
- 5.3 In the event that a deposit has been paid and the participant chooses not to accept the placement, EDGE of AFRICA reserves the right to retain the deposit.
- 5.4 In the event that a placement has been offered by EDGE of AFRICA or its partners and is accepted by the participant, and then the participant withdraws from the project, the participant is liable for the full cost of the project.
- 5.5 The participant agrees to settle the full balance of the project 2 weeks before arrival date.
- 5.6 In the event that a participant withdraws from the project the cancellation must be made in writing to EDGE of AFRICA. The cancellation can be submitted by letter or email. Failure to submit the cancellation in writing may result in the refunded amount being affected.
- 5.7 Cancellation is effective from the day EDGE of AFRICA receive the cancellation in writing – not the day it is sent. Please note that cancellations received out of office hours will only be effective from the next working day. Please note that office hours are 9 am –5 pm Monday to Friday.
- 5.8 In the event that you have changed the dates of your project the cancellation period will be effective from the original project start date, not the amended date.
- 5.9 In the event that a participant withdraws from a project more than 4 weeks before arrival date, EDGE of AFRICA will refund 100% of the cost of the project, minus deposit and any other costs incurred.
- 5.10 In the event that a participant withdraws from a project between 4 to 3 weeks before arrival date, EDGE of AFRICA will refund 50% of the cost of the project, minus deposit and any other costs incurred.
- 5.11 In the event that a participant withdraws from a project between 3 to 2 weeks before arrival date, EDGE of AFRICA will refund 25% of the cost of the project, minus deposit and any other costs incurred.
- 5.12 In the event that a participant withdraws from a project 14 days or less before arrival no fees will be refunded.
- 5.13 In the event that a participant withdraws from a project less than 2 weeks prior to departure, but has not fully settled their account as agreed in point 5.5, the participant agrees to pay as stipulated in point 5.12 of Cancellations. EDGE of AFRICA reserves the right to debit said account without prior consent.
- 5.14 In the event that a participant chooses to leave a project early, whatsoever the reason, no fees will be refunded
6. Project Related Condiditons
- 6.1 If a participant begins their project and decides it is unsuitable for their requirements, no fees paid will be refundable, although every effort will be made by EDGE of AFRICA and its partner to find a suitable alternative project with the time available. EDGE of AFRICA will not be responsible for any additional travelling cost etc, which may be incurred in any such move.
- 6.2 EDGE of AFRICA reserves the right make changes to any products and services offered to the participant. Changes will be minor and include change of project start date, participant’s duties on the project and weekend activities. The participant will be notified in case of such changes and in case of a cancellation of the project by EDGE of AFRICA a full refund, minus costs incurred, will be made. EDGE of AFRICA will not be held responsible for any travel costs incurred.
- 6.3 EDGE of AFRICA and partners may require participants to carry out other reasonable duties than those specified on the original project description.
- 6.4 The applicant agrees to remain flexible in terms of work hours and duties whilst on a project.
7. Health, Safety and Personal Information
- 7.1 Participants take part in projects at their own risk.
- 7.2 It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure that they are fit to travel and to take part in outlined duties.
- 7.3 Extra travel before, during and after the project are at the participant’s own risk and cost. Choosing to operate any machinery, motorized vehicles, obtaining the necessary license, permission and insurance will be responsibility of the participant.
- 7.4 EDGE of AFRICA and its partners cannot accept responsibility for the participant’s health & safety whilst in the hosting country or for any loss or injury.
- 7.5 EDGE of AFRICA may need to transfer the personal data the participant provided to us to our overseas partners. EDGE of AFRICA has the right to transfer any response to project related activities, photographs, feedback or accident related information to our overseas partners involved in the booking process of said participant and including any relation whose contact details have been supplied by the participant as emergency contact details.
- 7.6 EDGE of AFRICA reserves the right to terminate the participant’s project should their health or medical well-being be in question either by undisclosed or untruthful medical information of the participant or by current project conditions not being suitable for participants.
8. Code of Conduct and Complaints
- 8.1 The applicant agrees to abide by the Code of Conduct of EDGE of AFRICA, and its partners while participating on the project. Failure to do so may result in the termination of placement without reimbursement of any fees.
- 8.2 The applicant agrees to act with maturity, flexibility and respect in all aspects of the project.
- 8.3 During the project, the participant will be representing their country and EDGE of AFRICA and its partners and therefore every effort must be made by the participant to be a good ambassador for their project. Any behaviour likely to damage their image will lead to their instant expulsion from any project without reimbursement of any fees.
- 8.4 EDGE of AFRICA and its partners reserve the right to dismiss from the project any participant who is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others or whose conduct is deemed to be detrimental to the project. In the event of this case, EDGE of AFRICA and its partners cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred by the participant.
- 8.5 If during the project the participant experiences problems, EDGE of AFRICA suggest that they follow the following steps:
- 8.5.1 Attempt to resolve the issue/s themselves.
- 8.5.2 Communicate the problem to the project coordinator and manager and discuss the best solution.
- 8.5.3 All issues/complaints must be outlined in writing. In the case of a complaint please use the EDGE of AFRICA weekly feedback form or incident form if applicable.
- 8.5.4 It is your responsibility to complete weekly feedback forms in order to resolve any immediate issue regarding your project. Failure to do so may result in a void complaint at the end of the project.
9. Project Termination
- 9.1 Should the project be terminated by the Project Manger due to miss-representation, code of conduct violation or any areas the project manager feels does not reflect well on the project, the project and volunteer participation can be terminated at anytime. This will then be decided by the project manager as to whether it is immediate or postponed termination.
- 9.2 In this case no fees will be refunded.
- 9.3 EDGE of AFRICA and its partners cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred by the participant.