About the Program
Join us as a Pre-school teaching volunteer and spend your time providing support and manpower to disadvantaged schools, and assisting with community empowerment projects. This is the ideal volunteer program for anyone with a passion for teaching and a love for community work!
Pre-school teaching assistance
You will help young children in our disadvantaged communities develop all important skills that will provide the foundation for a brighter future!
You will work alongside our co-ordinator and local teachers and will follow carefully planned lessons. We have a lot of resources for you to use but don’t be shy about including your own ideas – we want to make the most of your individual skills.
You will give children the chance to improve their English language skills; work on important maths skills like counting, shape recognition and problem solving; develop social skills like team work and communication; and let their imaginations run wild with creative activities!
School upliftment projects
Pre-schools in our disadvantaged communities often have very basic facilities and limited funding. EDGE of AFRICA works in conjunction with local education authorities to identify schools that are most in need of our support.
You will assist us with school improvement projects like designing and painting murals; creating play areas; designing educational posters; and establishing food gardens. You may also assist with manual labour tasks like putting up shelving and fixing fencing….but don’t worry if you don’t have skills specific to these tasks – you will always work alongside a project co-ordinator; we will have local community members to assist you wherever necessary; and we will always make sure that your individual skills are put to good use!
You will assist with projects aimed at empowering locals and targeting the main areas of concern in the local community – health, education and nutrition.
Projects include conducting social surveys and health screening; assisting with food security projects like vegetable gardens, eco-friendly greenhouses, and our pop-up soup kitchen; assisting with after-school programs; helping at an elderly care centre; and running a weekly recycling exchange initiative for children- a full and varied experience!
Volunteer in Knysna
Knysna really is paradise and it’s no surprise that it has been voted South Africa’s favorite holiday town on many occasions!
- All project costs, equipment, tools and resources
- Pick up/drop off at George Airport.
- 24/7 emergency support
- Orientation & Training
- Accommodation in our Volunteer House
- 3 meals a day (on weekends we provide the ingredients for you to cook your own dinners)
- Project Related Transport
- Project T-shirt
- Dedicated coordinators to assist you daily
- Assistance with optional activities and tours
- Assistance obtaining a local SIM Card for your phone
- Additional cultural and outdoor activities on Friday afternoons
- Free, unlimited Wi-Fi and computer access in the Knysna volunteer house
- Post-project involvement, and an exclusive return volunteer discount
- Give children a brighter future by assisting them to develop important skills as you plan and run lessons under the guidance of our trained coordinator and with the teachers
- Help provide a safe and inspiring learning environment for children from disadvantaged communities by painting and fixing school buildings and playgrounds
- Work hand in hand with local teachers providing support and activities for the kids
- Spend your afternoons assisting with our community outreach projects