About the Program
Take action on the growing plastic pollution problem that the world faces. Help us tackle several environmental issues that contribute towards climate change and learn about how you can be the difference in the world!
Take hands-on action by assisting with projects like alien invasive clearing, coastal clean-ups and eco-brick projects!
You will be actively assisting to reduce climate change and plastic pollution, and will really be able to see the fruits of your labour. We all know that community involvement is vital for effective conservation, and by assisting with our eco-brick projects and our Recycling Swop Shop (based on a recycling exchange system) you will work hand in hand with the local people to create a brighter future for our planet!
You will assist us to monitor the biodiversity of our beautiful coastal and forest habitats through bird surveys, tidal zone surveys and forest species surveys. When conducting beach clean-ups you will also assist with coastal trash research.
Data is shared with local scientists and citizen science projects, and all contributes to long-term research.
Through conservation education workshops you will help us sow the seed of respect for South Africa’s natural heritage and educate local children about Earth savvy living.
You will be assisting with carefully planned workshops which are fun and interactive. We have a lot of resources for you to use but we encourage you to include your own ideas – we want to make the most of your individual skills! p
Workshops may be classroom based or may involve taking local children to visit natural areas – an opportunity that many of these children wouldn’t ordinarily have. Although these are children who live in South Africa many of them have never experienced the wonders of Africa’s nature and so we hope to improve their knowledge and understanding.
Volunteer in Knysna
Knysna really is paradise and it’s no surprise that it has been voted South Africa’s favorite holiday town on many occasions!
- All project costs, equipment, tools and resources
- Pick up/drop off at George Airport.
- 24/7 emergency support
- Orientation & Training
- Accommodation in our Volunteer House
- 3 meals a day (on weekends we provide the ingredients for you to cook your own dinners)
- Project Related Transport
- Project T-shirt
- Dedicated coordinators to assist you daily
- Assistance with optional activities and tours
- Assistance obtaining a local SIM Card for your phone
- Additional cultural and outdoor activities on Friday afternoons
- Free, unlimited Wi-Fi and computer access in the Knysna volunteer house
- Post-project involvement, and an exclusive return volunteer discount
- Help to restore the unique forest and beach habitats of the famous Garden Route, South Africa
- Work along one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world
- Help with practical conservation projects taking hands on action towards reducing pollution and restoring the environment
- Increase your knowledge of the species from the area – forest birds, mammals, ocean plants and animals and shore birds. We conduct biodiversity surveys to help determine the effects of climate change
- Help us run fun workshops for local children teaching them how we can make small changes to the way we live our lives in a more earth-savvy way
- Help with a community recycling program for kids called the Swop Shop based on a recycling exchange system
Join this Combination Volunteer Program from:
You can add additional weeks of volunteering for only 320 GBP per week